Jul 31, 2006

The-week-before-school-starts ramblings...

Yep, school starts NEXT week! August 7th. This summer has been so very busy, it's flown by!

I'm always excited when school starts. Not so much that the boys will be gone all day (OK, so I'll admit, it is *I* who plans the annual first day of school lunch with my group of friends and calls it the "Freedom Lunch"), but that it means we only have about 2 more months of hot weather! WooHoo. Well, if we are LUCKY it might start to cool down by October. At least at night. Maybe.

Anyway, the weekend was taken up by shoe shopping. A pair each for Kent and Kurt, 2 pairs for Wyatt (one to keep in his locker for PE). And then there are "the shoes" that we ordered for Grant. They came on Friday. OK, they really aren't shoes, they are cleats for football. These are cleats that are only available at one store on the Internet because Grant had to have them in orange and white. Shoes1 And he loves them so much he didn't even roll his eyes when I said I wanted to photograph them before he got them dirty. I guess they are kind of cool.

Today was all about doctor appointments. Four of them. The big boys each got 2 shots, but the little boys escaped unscathed. Shots are no big deal for Wyatt normally since he gets allergy shots twice a week. But the tetanus shot is kind of painful and they are both complaining of sore arms tonight.

Tetanus shots always remind me of the time that my sister stepped on a nail and we had to all go to the doctor to get one. I think I was probably about 4 years old and for many years thought stepping on a nail was contagious, when in reality it was just an excuse to get us all vaccinated. Anyway, I am the youngest of 5 children and I was the only one who had to get the shot in the cheeky rear area (if you KWIM). My siblings all got them in the arms. That night my leg was so sore from the shot in my behind that I could barely walk. Yet even though it was just my siblings' arms that were sore, they made me wait on them like a slave all night! I remember all 4 of them sitting on the fireplace hearth, saying "Mary, get me a glass of water, I can't lift my arm." and "Go get me that book, my arm hurts too much." And I would hobble around and do their bidding. How mean is that? And where were my parents while this was going on anyway??? ;)

The rest of the week will entail getting schedules and finding out which teachers everyone got. Like every year, I'm crossing my fingers, and praying they all get good ones. We've been very lucky through the years and have had some great teachers, so hoping our luck holds out.

Hope everyone has a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment